On Saturday, February 19, 2022, Concordia University Wisconsin suspended Rev. Dr. Gregory Schulz, a full professor of philosophy and Lutheran pastor. At first, Dr. Schulz did not know why he was suspended because the University locked him out of his email account and banned him from campus properties. By Monday, things had become more clear: Concordia’s leadership suspended Dr. Schulz because of an article he wrote in Christian News critiquing the University’s recent embrace of “woke-ness” and “diversity, inclusion, and equity.” Even though Dr. Schulz’s employment contract with the University guarantees “academic freedom” and “due process,” the University gave him neither freedom nor process. Now, Concordia threatens to terminate Dr. Schulz unless he publicly “recants.”
In addition to being a professor, Dr. Schulz is a husband, father, grandfather and confessional Lutheran pastor in the LCMS with nearly 40 years in the ministry. Dr. Schulz is also a retired Lt. Colonel in the U.S. Air Force’s Civil Air Patrol. You can learn more about Dr. Schulz here.
- WILL’s Letter to Concordia University, February 21, 2022
- Concordia University Professor Suspended for Criticizing School’s Wokeness, Dan O’Donnell, February 22, 2022
- An online petition is circulating in support of Dr. Schulz here.
- Academic Freedom Alliance Letter to Concordia University, February 28, 2022
- Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) Letter to Concordia University, March 4, 2022
- Christian University Bans Professor From Campus For Critiquing Its Dive Into ‘Equity’ And ‘Inclusion, The Federalist, March 7, 2022
The Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty is pleased to represent Dr. Schulz pro bono. If you would like to support WILL’s mission of protecting individual rights, including academic freedom, please click here.